Monday, February 16, 2009

part 1

First I grab my greenware at before leather hard stage.

Photobucket

I also get my brush and wax resist.

Brush the wax resist where i want to draw. Sometimes it is a tiny area, sometimes it's the entire pot. make sure you shake the waz up real well and add 2-3 layers of wax. A thin application will make the underglaze bleed through.

Photobucket

Because it get's humid in florida and things don't dry quickly I set the cup in front of my trusty space heater for a few minutes
Photobucket

Then I grab my carving tools. Usually a pen, nail, toothpick, and tweezers that i have pulled apart. Carve my drawing into the waxed areas.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Brush underglaze onto the carved areas. The underglaze should get into the lines and pool on top. Take a moist sponge and wipe off excess.

Photobucket

2 comments:

shin ae said...

This process looks like so much fun to me! Makes me wish chemicals didn't bother me so much. Thank you for showing the photographs.

Laura W. said...

Wow! This is so neat- i think I will try it, too! Do you think an oil based wax-resist would work?